Home PageAbout UsOur VetsDonationsContact Us

Arthur J (S) Rogney

War: World War II
Parent/Wife: W.C./Rosalie
City: Marshfield
Birth Date: 18 Feb 1918
Death Date: 23 Aug 1944
How Died: Plane Crash
Where Died: England
Where Buried:
Rank: Cpl
Branch: Army

Kia=Killed in Action
Dow=Died of Wounds
Dod=Died of Disease
Mia=Missing in Action


Corporal Arthur James Rogney

A baby boy, only seven months old, is crying as his mother walks into the room. She has just received a telegram from the military informing her of her husband’s death. The baby boy will never have the chance to meet his father. Little Thomas Rogney was never able to call someone “dad”, or to have someone to look up to when he came home. This is because his father, Corporal Arthur James Rogney, died in a plane crash while valiantly fighting in England. His wife had given birth to his son while he was in service. He gave his life for his son as well as his country. Arthur James Rogney was loving and selfless person who was willing to sacrifice his life in order to protect the freedom of others.

Arthur James Rogney lived a typical childhood up until the war. Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Rogney gave birth to Arthur on February 19, 1918. He grew up in Marshfield and attended the local schools. In 1936, Arthur graduated from Marshfield High school. Since he might have been interested in flying, he attended combined Lockheed, Douglas and Northrup Aeronautical School in Glendale, California. This started off Arthur’s military career.

Corporal Arthur James Rogney was a hardworking repair man in the army. He entered into service in January of 1942. When he completed his basic training, he was sent to a technical school in Los Angeles, California. He was a diligent student and graduated with honors in June, 1943. At the graduation ceremony, Arthur became a Corporal and was awarded a special diploma signed by Major General John Curry. He was received a scholarship from the Aero Tech president. Corporal Rogney was then sent to Tinker Field, Oklahoma, where he was assigned to a repair squadron of the Air Service Command. He maintained and repaired aircraft and also trained air depot groups. In October of 1943, Arthur was sent to England. Here he had the same line of work that he’d had back in Tinker Field. Because of their hard work, Corporal Rogney’s squadron won top honors for having the best production record for repairing aircraft of any unit that engaged in the same type of work. Through hard work and a positive attitude, Corporal Rogney had become a decorated military man in the time he served.

The last letter Arthur’s parents received was dated August 18, 1944, three days before the tragic plane crash. Through this letter, we know that Arthur still had an optimistic outlook on life. He told his parents not to worry and that everything was well with him in England. He was never able to meet his son or see his family again. At the age of only twenty-six, an honorable man, named Arthur James Rogney, passed away.

Michael Josephson
Marshfield Junior High


News Articles

Rogney Notice
Rogney Notice


  Honoring Our Wood County War Dead